Costa Rica Rafting – 8 Days / 7 Nights
We are going International! We have developed an unbeatable 8-day Costa Rica adventure with our friends at Pacuare Outdoor Center. Outside Alaska, Costa Rica is unrivaled for outdoor adventure, and we’re psyched to spend some time with you there!
Explore the beauty and enjoy the adventures the land of Costa Rica can offer through a fantastic and well-crafted Pacuare River Rafting vacation. Enjoy private transportation and a local personal guide for your entire trip. Our staff will make everything to your liking and ensure you enjoy all the experiences you can do here, whether it be rafting, stand-up paddleboarding (SUP), yoga, or simply enjoying the scenery. We’re sure your trip will be one you won’t forget.
Arrive at San José Airport & Drive to Turrialba Valley! Enjoy canyoneering and a sustainable cacao farm tour on your first full day; the following day, raft the Pacuare River to Pacuare Eco-Lodge, zipline, Tarzan swing, and hike to waterfalls at the Pacuare Eco-Lodge, raft the Pacuare Canyon followed by a trip to the Caribbean Coast. In the Caribbean, we dine at local “sodas,” where the flavors and style of the Caribbean inspire Costa Rican food. Stand-up paddleboard a lazy river where we spot Black Turtles, Howler Monkeys, 2 & 3-toed sloths, and tons of local bird varieties. Lastly, spend some time relaxing on the white and black sand beaches of the Caribbean; if the surf is calm, this is also an excellent place to snorkel! We will travel back to San Jose for one last night before flights home, but not without a stop at a local fruit stand where they prepare a fresh spread of local fruits for us to enjoy (you won’t find these in the U.S.).
- We recommend arriving between 08:00 AM and 05:00 PM.
- We recommend departing between 10:00 AM and 05:00 PM.
- Enjoy world-class rapids (Class II, III, & IV) and breathtaking scenery.
- Views of native flora and fauna include howler monkeys, toucans, and more!
- Whitewater for both beginners and experienced rafters!
- Ziplines & the only Tarzan Swing on the Pacuare River at the Pacuare Eco-Lodge.
- Private guide and driver for the duration of your trip!
- Paddleboarding & yoga options on the beautiful Caribbean Coast.
- Views of waterfalls that are 25 feet / 7.5 meters – jumping is optional (but encouraged!).
- All lodging from Day 1 to Day 8.
- All meals included!
- Water rafting – Pacuare River
- Expert guides
- Personal floatation device (PFD)
- Zipline and Tarzan Wing
- Beach trip
- All meals from Day 1 through Day 8 (March 9 – 16, 2024)
- All needed adventure gear (Costa Rica rafting supplies, zipline, SUP, and Tarzan Swing)
- Private transportation on the trip
- Private nature guide/driver
- All lodging
- All activities and entrances fee listed on the itinerary
- Lodging outside of tour dates
- Pre and post-tour meals
- All items listed on our Packing List
- STURDY WATER BOTTLE!
- Adventurous spirit
- Any medications you may require plus two days extra in case of delays
- Gratuity for your guide (10-20% of the trip cost recommended)
- 8-Day Expedition (March 9 – 16, 2024): $2,850.00 Per Person (6-12 people)
Departure Time1 PM
Day 1 - Arrive at San José Airport & Drive to Turrialba Valley! (Local Hotel) Welcome to Costa Rica!
- From the San Jose airport, you will be transported to your first hotel by your private guide and driver. Once you arrive at the hotel, you will have a dinner/orientation where you will have a chance to meet the rest of the group and have a debriefing of the week ahead from your guide.
- We ask that you arrive on an early afternoon flight to SJO San Jose no later than 1 PM.
- If you decide to arrive a day earlier, we can arrange to pick you up at your hotel, and group departure from San Jose SJO will be planned for 2 PM on arrival day. (Meals: Dinner)
Day 2 - Canyoneering and Chocolate Tour (Local Hotel)
- Today is a full day of adventure and fun, and we will start by having breakfast at the hotel and packing our bags as we will be moving hotels today.
- First, before we get to the lodge, we will experience a canyoneering adventure where you will make your way down a canyon with five different waterfalls. These waterfalls range in height from 20 to 100ft high.
- After canyoneering, we will stop at one of our favorite restaurants with a view like none other and a chance to refuel before our next activity begins.
- After lunch, we will be visiting a local cacao farm where you will have a chance for a hands-on experience of learning about the infamous cacao crop and all the work, cultivation, and process that goes into making chocolate.
- (Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner)
Day 3 - Raft Pacuare River to POC Lodge (POC Lodge)
- Today is a full day of adventure and fun, and we will start by having breakfast at the hotel and packing our bags as we will be moving hotels today. Our final destination of the day will be the Pacuare Outdoor Center, home to the best views of the river of what National Geographic has as one of its top 5 most scenic on the planet.
- Our morning will start with a 20-minute drive to the put-in of the Pacuare River, where our guides and gear will be waiting for us. After a safety talk, we will get geared up and ready for a class II & III section that will take us to the POC Lodge. We will make some stops on the way for lunch and visiting the of the nearby pools and waterfalls.
- Once you arrive at the POC Lodge you will have the afternoon to relax in the rocking chairs and enjoy the views of the Pacuare River canyon, one of the best views you will find in the entire Pacuare river basin.
- (Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner)
Day 4 - Zipline, Tarzan Swing & Waterfall Nature Hike (POC Lodge)
- Today is another full day of adventure! But don’t worry; you will have the afternoon to relax and enjoy the lodge.
- You will be experiencing our infamous Tarzan Swing and Zipline course! The swing will have you swinging hundreds of feet over the river while staying attached to a harness, Rica’s, Rica’s, of course. We have a lower platform for those interested in We’ll adventurous swing. We’ll also be riding on our zipline, so we are going to experience the Pacuare River from another level.
- Then we are going to hike to a beautiful waterfall where we will have the chance to slide in and have some fun! This is a one-hour hike and will have its vertical challenges hiking down into the canyon. During the night we are going to get relaxed around a bonfire.
- (Meals Included: Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner)
Day 5 - Rafting Pacuare Canyon and Travel to Caribbean Coast (Local Hotel)
- The day will start by rafting through the tropical rainforest and one of the most scenic areas of Costa Rica. We will pass by canyon walls that rise 300ft and pristine 200ft waterfalls that fall into the river. This is what we consider the most scenic area of Costa Rica, and thousands of former guests share the same opinion.
- Then we will start our drive to the south Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, where the jungle meets the sea! This unique area of Costa Rica is still very much rich in culture and has no high rises like you might find on the pacific. Also, the time of year during the end of October makes it one of the most pristine areas in Costa Rica.
- (Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
Day 6 - SUP time (Local Hotel)
- During the morning, visit the famous Punta Uva Beach, voted globally as one of the most beautiful on the planet. Here we will have the SUPs ready. We will start with a flat river float and a chance to see some wildlife and then make our way to the Punta Uva, where we will paddle around the famous grape point and make our way to the nearby coral reef allowing you a chance to snorkel depending on the conditions.
- In the afternoon, you will have time to relax and visit the local town of Puerto Viejo, a more vibrant Caribbean area. Here there is an Afro-Caribbean influence, and you will have the chance to visit shops, get a drink, or enjoy the three beaches that make this unique town one of the best beach towns in Costa Rica.
- It can not go without mentioning that the best part about this town is the famous Rice and Beans cooked with coconut milk by the locals.
- In the evening, we can listen to live music in town or there will be an option to head back to the hotel.
- (Meals: Breakfast & Lunch )
Day 7 - Visit Beach in Morning & Travel to San Jose (Airport Hotel)
- During the morning, you will have your last chance to visit the beach and have a morning in the water or relax at the hotel. In the afternoon, we will make our way back to San Jose, allowing you to be close to the airport for your evening arrival.
- We will have our farewell dinner at the hotel and reminisce on the good times and friends we made over the last week as we pack our minds and bags full of memories and Pura Vida!
- (Meals: Breakfast & Dinner)
Day 8 - Fly Home
- Today you will be transferred to the San Jose (SJO) airport to arriving no less than two hours before your flight. The airport hotel is just 5 minutes from the San Jose (SJO) airport.
- (Meals: Breakfast )